June 7, 2022 (Investorideas.com Newswire) Comparison of new and previous clinical trial data shows improved efficacy, noted a Wedbush report.
Epizyme Inc.’s (EPZM:NASDAQ) new SYMPHONY-1 study data suggest “patients are experiencing deepening responses” to the company’s approved cancer drug, tazemetostat, in combination with lenalidomide and rituximab, reported Wedbush analyst David Nierengarten in a June 2 research note.
Updated efficacy data from the Phase 1b study in relapsed/refractory follicular lymphoma are better than those reported in December 2021 from the same trial, Nierengarten highlighted.
“We believe these data continue to build a case for using tazemetostat in earlier lines of therapy with the standard lenalidomide and rituximab combination,” the analyst commented.
Specifically, out of 38 evaluable patients, 36 (94.7%) responded to treatment as of Jan. 22, 2022. Nineteen (50%) patients experienced a complete response, and 17 (44.7%), had a partial response. Two patients had stable diseases. Percentages from the previous data release, in comparison, were 37.1% and 54.3%, respectively,
In the recent data readout, none of the patients had reached median progression-free survival or median duration of response at a median follow-up of 5.8 months.
The updated results also compare favorably to the historical range of overall response rate of 73-78% in patients with relapsed/refractory follicular lymphoma treated with lenalidomide and rituximab, Nierengarten pointed out.
As for the safety of tazemetostat plus lenalidomide and rituximab, patients tolerated the combination treatment well. Adverse events were consistent with the labels of both tazemetostat alone and of combination lenalidomide plus rituximab.
Out of 44 patients, 14 (32%) experienced serious treatment-emergent adverse events, and in 25 (57%) patients these were grades three to four. A decrease in neutrophil count was the most common one.
“The updated safety data were consistent with prior data, with no clear dose-response for treatment-emergent adverse events or dose modifications,” wrote Nierengarten.
Regarding the next steps, enrollment is in progress for the Phase 3 study. In that, patients will be given either tazemetostat 800 milligrams twice a day plus lenalidomide and rituximab or placebo plus lenalidomide and rituximab.
As for Epizyme, it will be catalyst rich in H2/22, Nierengarten noted, and he suggested investors buy shares of the biopharma beforehand. These near-term events include interim Phase 2 results from the LYSA and CELLO-1 trials.
Wedbush has an Outperform rating and a $7 per share price target on Epizyme, the current share price of which is around $0.52.
1) Doresa Banning compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees, or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in the securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees, or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees, and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed, medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.
Disclosures for Wedbush Securities, Epizyme Inc., June 2, 2022
We, David Nierengarten and Dennis Pak, certify that the views expressed in this report accurately reflect our personal opinions and that we have not and will not, directly or indirectly, receive compensation or other payments in connection with our specific recommendations or views contained in this report.
1. WS makes a market in the securities of Epizyme. 3. WS co-managed a public offering of securities for Epizyme within the last 12 months. 4. WS has received compensation for investment banking services from Epizyme within the last 12 months.
The information herein is based on sources that we consider reliable, but its accuracy is not guaranteed. The information contained herein is not a representation by this corporation, nor is any recommendation made herein based on any privileged information. This information is not intended to be nor should it be relied upon as a complete record or analysis: neither is it an offer nor a solicitation of an offer to sell or buy any security mentioned herein. This firm, Wedbush Securities, its officers, employees, and members of their families, or any one or more of them, and its discretionary and advisory accounts, may have a position in any security discussed herein or in related securities and may make, from time to time, purchases or sales thereof in the open market or otherwise.
The information and expressions of opinion contained herein are subject to change without further notice. The herein mentioned securities may be sold to or bought from customers on a principal basis by this firm. Additional information with respect to the information contained herein may be obtained upon request.
Wedbush Securities does and seeks to do business with companies covered in its research reports. Thus, investors should be aware that the firm may have a conflict of interest that could affect the objectivity of this report. Investors should consider this report as only a single factor in making their investment decision. Please see pages 3-7 of this report for analyst certification and important disclosure information.
This news is published on the Investorideas.com Newswire – a global digital news source for investors and business leaders
Disclaimer/Disclosure: Investorideas.com is a digital publisher of third party sourced news, articles and equity research as well as creates original content, including video, interviews and articles. Original content created by investorideas is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Our site does not make recommendations for purchases or sale of stocks, services or products. Nothing on our sites should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell products or securities. All investing involves risk and possible losses. This site is currently compensated for news publication and distribution, social media and marketing, content creation and more. Disclosure is posted for each compensated news release, content published /created if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and was published for the sole interest of our readers and followers. Contact management and IR of each company directly regarding specific questions.
More disclaimer info: https://www.investorideas.com/About/Disclaimer.asp Learn more about publishing your news release and our other news services on the Investorideas.com newswire https://www.investorideas.com/News-Upload/ and tickertagstocknews.com
BiotechIndustryStocks.com – investing ideas in biotechnology stocks, medical technology and life sciences
Like Biotech Stocks? View our Biotech Stocks Directory